Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default PAT testing damage (UK)

Gareth Magennis wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Roland drum machine in for repair. The machine powers up and

goes
through the Operating System upgrade, up to the point the Flash is written
to, where it fails and the unit will not boot, showing a "damaged memory"
warning. I suspect the Flash chip is faulty.

When I informed the owner of my findings, he then tells me he thinks it

was
damaged by a PAT test. It is powered by a Wall Wart, and he thinks it was
plugged into the unit during the test, as it stopped working immediately
afterwards.

An internal inspection shows around 10 caps around the internal power
supplies are bulging and have leaked guff onto the PCB. The 3.3v rail is

at
over 4 volts, so presumable the regulator is toast.

So, if you PAT test a Wall Wart plugged into a unit and turned on, what is
likely to happen? What I have just described perhaps?
Or did someone just use the wrong power supply instead and isn't letting

on?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Now if a numb-skull used the discrete IEC lead tester, flash-tester, instead
of the more down-to-ground ;-) PAT tester then expect such damage