Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce ferguson Bruce ferguson is offline

Default Can't figure out the bowl gouge

Pete, Fred Holder had mention the Ellsworth grind, look on youtube and
search for Captain Eddie Castelain. He has a bunch of neet videos on
making and using wood turning tools. He has one to make the Ellsworth
jig. Take a few minuets to go and look to see what he has. You can
google his site as I would muck up his address. He also has PDF turning
notes that you might want to look at.

Bruce

Pete S wrote:
Thanks for all the input so far.
I got 3 inexpensive bowl gouges on Ebay. They all have about 35° bevels.
I guess my first step is the grind them to a lot less aggressive angle
before going at it again. I have seen recommendations all the way from
45 to 80°. I will try about 70° for starters. I will also try to do the
fingernail grind that I see on youtube.
Metal turning has been my main use of a lathe for about 55 years. I
guess I am having trouble relating to wood- ie: holding the tools in my
hands.

Pete Stanaitis