Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default What gives with this angle calc???

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 7/27/2011 17:20, wrote:
The standard taper 3/4 inch per foot is listed in Machinery's Handbook
as 3, 34, 47. When I calculate it I get 3,34,34. I get this answer
using my TI calculator and my computer. Looking on the web I find the
3,34,47 answer. It's the angle I've always used. So how come I get
something different? On my TI-30X calculator I divide .75 by 12 which
equals .0625. This is the tangent. I then use the inverse tangent
function to get the answer: 3.576334375. Then I use the DDDMS
function which returns the answer: 3,34,34 80. So what's going
on??????
Thanks,
Confused machinist Eric

Coming from a gage making person. You are doing the calculation wrong. 3/4
taper per foot builds a triangle with a base of .750 and an altitude of
12.000 inches. Base divided by altitude is NOT the tangent. Half the base
divided by the altitude is the tangent of the half angle. Inverse tangent
of that is the half angle, then double that to get the full angle.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

Darn, that's right! I knew something seemed too simple.

So now my HP 15C gives me 3,34,47.4.

Machinery's Handbook was right, after all. Thanks, Steve.

--
Ed Huntress