Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.railway
Mark Goodge Mark Goodge is offline

Default Welding cast iron

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:46:49 +0100, James Heaton put finger to keyboard and
typed:

"Andy Breen" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:35:32 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:07:11 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:
Anyone here still watching a CRT television?

Yep. I watch so little TV I can't be bothered changing it.

Neil

+1

+2

+3.

I'm of the mindset that I don't throw out items that work and meet my needs.
Current living room telly second hand from a relative, getting on for 20
years old. Bedroom telly bought with a month's overtime in 1998. And still
got an old and working Hitachi set which was a Christmas present in I think
1988 - no remote but works fine. Was my monitor for the Commodore 64 for a
good while!

We have two TVs in the house. One in the living room, and one in my study.
Both were, until just over a year ago, CRTs. The one in my study started
flickering and losing colour, and it was clear that it wasn't going to last
much longer. So I bought a new LCD TV for the living room, with the
intention of transferring the previous main TV to the study and throwing
mine out.

I got it as far as the bottom of the stairs (my study, at the time, being
at the top of a three-story house), and realised that I'd never get it all
the way up on my own. After pondering for a while, and seeing just how much
better the picture was on the new set in the living room, I went out and
bought another LCD set (although a bit smaller) for the study.

Sometimes, being suitable for a purpose is about more than just the primary
function. Anyone who has ever had to carry a large CRT set around, and seen
how much space it takes up, will be aware that replacing it with a flat
panel for that reason alone is often entirely justifiable.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk