Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Part P government review 2010/11

On 27/07/2011 18:08, Clive George wrote:
In ,
wrote:
I am amazed how doctors can prescribe tranquillizers and not inform DVLA
and yet stop those with controlled diabetes driving some classes of
vehicles.

Are those vehicles ones where the driver has to keep to some schedule
etc?
A diabetic may have to stop and take medication or food etc exactly when
he needs to - not much use if driving a long distance coach.

There's much less of that these days - doses and food can be arranged
when wanted, rather than on a prearranged schedule.

The problem is still hypos. There's a risk of these for any insulin
controlled diabetic, and I think it's just an attempt to reduce the risk
but without being too restrictive. Drivers in the controlled classes are
more likely to spend hours at the wheel, thus increasing the chance of
it happening, and cause a bigger mess if it does go wrong.

I don't know how things are progressing, but I was told last year that
one of the companies that produced microchips for pets is working on one
that will not only allow vets to read off the ID and temperature as many
do, but also blood sugar levels. Now if they can get those working, I
can see diabetics being interested in using such a device with an
external monitor for continuous readings. That would be interesting for
all sorts of restrictions on licences and in work.

SteveW