Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Does anyone listen to "America's Handiman" Glen Haege on AM radio (WJR?)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:30:34 -0400, willshak
wrote:

I can find no other reference to PEX on his website. I would think that
the PEX lawsuit would be mentioned somewhere.

Where is this mysterious "PEX lawsuit"? The only lawsuit I'm aware of is
against one particular brand and type of fittings commonly used with PEX
tubing, nothing against the PEX tubing or the many other brands and
types of fittings available. Your exaggeration is rather like claiming a
"car lawsuit" in reference to one bad part on one brand of car.

There's at least two companies involved in the lawsuit.
Zurn, and Uponor.
Pex has been used in the US for 20 years, 40 years in Europe.
There's nothing wrong with the tubing, just some brass fittings by the
above companies.
Apparently those fittings contained zinc in the brass before being cast.
The zinc was the problem.

I believe those fittings were "yellow brass" which had 30% zinc? The
hard water in Nevada caused problems - Zurn. Another was called
Kitec.*

Use "red brass" fittings that have only 5% to 10% zinc.

* 2009
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jan/22/piping-begins-homes-involved-kitec-lawsuit/