Jeff Cochran

Default Designing home office with plenty of space... suggestions please

On 20 Feb 2004 08:01:35 -0800, (Alex) wrote:

Hi folks,

This might be kinda off topic, but I'm designing a computer desk or
room layout for my home office... and I'd like suggestions of others
who have tackled this.

I do web programming, so I have 3 computers with 4 monitors plus a
laptop. The room is 16 feet by 16 feet, and I have two closets.
Idealy the desk will take-up almost two full walls (including corner)
with desk space plus shelves. I also want to pull-up the carpet and
put-in a wooden floor so my chair will roll easier.

Can someone suggest a book or website that covers such projects? Or
if someone has done something similar, can you send suggestions or
photos?

Depth, 32 inches, 36 inches if 19" or larger monitors. Desk top 29.5
inches off floor. Cabinets with doors (30" kitchen cabinets are fine)
26 inches above desk. Rolling file cabinets. Underdesk computer
mounts (cyberguys.com, about $30). Articulated keyboard support.
Undercabinet halogen or rope lights, indirect ceiling lighting.
Rubber wheels on that chair.

Better is switch to rack mount CPU units, a KVM switch and 21" LCD
display. Wireless keyboard/mouse/speakers and wireless network.

Jeff