Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Irrigation, of sorts

"Edward Rice" wrote in message
I'm running a part of my "irrigation" with a hose and some couplers and
some sprinklers. It's way out of hand -- too many couplers, too many
sprinklers (but they're needed to cover the area). I cut back on manual
labor by getting some cheap end-of-season timers and setting them to
kick on and off at 15-minute intervals, but I've got an unreasonable
mess of hoses.

I think I want to lay a plastic pipe on the ground in the arc that the
lawn runs in, and put in tee-couplings every 4-6 feet, and then wherever
I want a sprinkler I can put on a cheap faucet or a simple hose tap and
run, say, six feet of hose instead of fifty. Lots less confusion, and
much easier to deal with when I need to mow the lawn around there.

I've never used PVC for this -- how can I figure out what size PVC to
use, is there a standard way to couple a hose to feed this main pipe,
and is there a standard way to fit the hose taps in along the way?

The whole stretch is a long hose-run away from my house, so I already
have an electric boost-pump that furnishes the area with about 90 PSI of
hose pressure, although not at very high volume. The hose out there is
3/4". So, I need to make sure that whatever I cobble together won't
explode into component parts when I put 90 PSI into it, with some
additional allowance for pressure increase when the pump is turned on.

Thanks for suggestions!

Edward

Consider this, Ed. Put in a 3/4" PVC line, with either hose bibs or quick
connects. Or a combination of both. PVC fittings come in the NPT threads
of the hose bib base, AND the 3/4" hose end, allowing for all kinds of
things. If your yard requires, or you prefer, hand watering with hoses,
that would be the way to go. Be sure to get the bleeders. They look like
little green mushrooms, and install in the line with the mushroom head
pointed down. When you shut off the water, the pressure diaphragm inside
relaxes and the water drains out, preventing freeze bursting. If you do put
a shutoff on your line, open up the bibs so that air can go in and help
drain ALL the water out. You can also wrap your pipes, it just depends on
how cold it gets at your house in winter.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide