Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Connect TV audio output to old stereo amp

wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:15:13 -0400, Al Moodie
wrote:

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but it is the only one I am
familiar with.

I have an old audio system, Technics SU 8022 stereo amp attached to
large quaulity technics speakers, works fine.
Have a Sony Bravia LCD TV which has an audio output socket which I use
for headphones occasionally.
Does it make sense to attempt to connect the TV's audio output to the
Technics amp to get better sound quality.

Sony TV Audio out:
500mVrms (100% modulation)
More than 1 Vrms at max volume setting
Impedance 47k ohms

Technics amp input:
Phono 2.5mV 47k ohm
Aux 150mV 27k ohm

I assume I will need some kind of voltage/impedance matching between
the two units.

Al Moodie.

There are several issues.

First of all, do not use the phono input; it is designed for a
magnetic cartridge, has RIAA equilization, and will seriously
overamplify the bass frequencies.

Second, I would spend some time reading the manual for the TV, and
studying the function of the audio output RCA jacks. If they can be
configured to suit your purposes, they would be preferable to the
headphone jack.

Third, you are setting up a situation where the TV will be turned
off, but the amplifier will still be on. For a number of reasons,
this is not desirable.

PlainBill

My AV amp stays on all the time, and it doesn't cause me any problems ...

Arfa