Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim T Jim T is offline

Default In-ground pool question/rant

On 7/26/2011 10:49 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:40:33 -0500, Jim wrote:

Last year I got hit with algae early so I got "phosfree" and it cleared
it up.

Went to a maintance dose of "pool perfect phosfree" earlier this year
and the algae came this year about two months ago.

Part of my problem (i think) is I'm getting my phoshates checked at the
pool supply and they have changed help numerous times. I need a good
regent test for phosphates and I've been told that here before. The guy
told me 300ppb yesterday (but I really doubt that number) Usually in the
low 100s.

My chlorine level is monitored closely. Yesterday it was 3ppm I just
tested PH and it was 7.4 in a quick test with a calibrated probe that's
pretty accurate. The store said I needed alkaline but only 3.5lbs which
sounds about right for this time of year.

My knee jerk reaction is to buy more "Phosfree" but I don't know for
sure. *I do know* I'll be getting a phosphate regent test.

How do metals play in algae growth?

Anyone else use "Phosfree" then "Pool Perfect Phosfree" with better results?

Comments? Suggestions?

Green yellow algae with spots on plaster that have to be periodically
scrubbed off.
Sand Filter
Central TX (Hotter than it's ever been ~ 105 today) Damn I want to go
back to NM!
At least 50% shade on pool. (nice!)
10,000 gal pool and spa.

If your suggestion is to get a phosphate regent test don't waste your
time. I already know that. Thanks

Jim

Do you shock the pool regularly? What is the stabilizer level (too
much is bad)?

You can get good chlorine numbers and still not have much "free"
chlorine available.
Do you know where the phosphate is coming from?

phosphates must be coming from the atmosphere. rain has been light so
lots of dust, leaves......

I'm going right now to get the test.

Once a week shock if not more.

That's another issue is I need to move my chemicals because it's too hot
to store them outside.

Jim