Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Dishwashing machines need phosphates

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip

You got me going on this again. Darn you. g It was too hot to take my
usual walk after lunch so I made some calls. First I called the company
that
makes Finish dishwasher detergent. They said they pulled the phosphate
out
on July 1, 2010, along with all of the other major producers. And the
reason
was, indeed, the 16 states who suddenly outlawed it, combined with the
fact
that they didn't want to make and market two different products. That's
similar to what happened years ago with laundry detergent.

The other call was to the NJ office of USGS, who monitors navigable
waters
here. The key researcher in this area is supposed to call me back; the
one I
talked to didn't know the issues with dishwasher detergent, or what the
basis was for those states (which does not include NJ) to ban TSP. We'll
see
if I can get an answer.

This could prove interesting.

Joe Gwinn

Ok, I got the story from a guy who sat on legislative committee meetings
while the state laws were being hashed out. It was an hour-long
conversation, so I won't try to tell the whole thing, but the discussion did
involve a lot about Pflueger cane fly rods and fishing for cutthroat trout
in Montana, lake trout in Canada's N.W.T., oysters in the Raritan Bay, and
so on. g

Blame Washington State. And the EPA. It started with tightening of national
point-source effluent standards from EPA. That's industrial and municipal
waste discharges.

Many states were able to meet them with old-style (alum flocculent) tertiary
treatment, and new-style tertiary treatment (microbes), but Washington
allowed the overbuilding of residences around the Spokane River, and the
phosphates were filtering down through a porous geological cap, getting into
drinking water, and overloading the sewage treatment. The stage beyond
tertiary is a microfiltering screen process and it costs like hell.

So it was a cost issue for the State of Washington -- and many others. The
Washington legislators sat down with the industry association, the American
Cleaning Institute (ACI) and told them how much cheaper it would be to just
pull the phosphates out of dishwasher detergent (remember, this is a
point-source regulation). That was in 2006. They wanted it done in two
years. The industry said they couldn't do it that fast. They asked for 4-1/2
years. The legislators said Ok.

The industry in Europe had tried non-phosphate dishwasher detergents back in
the '90s, but they didn't work well and customers stayed away in droves. In
2006, they still didn't have a solution. By 2010, the whole industry did,
and it worked very well. There are now 17 states that have blocked the
manufacture and sale -- but not the use -- of phosphate dishwasher
detergents. The ACI and its members, once they had a solution that works,
supported the legislation in the other 16 states.

I didn't ask him about the stink - time was short and I was more interested
in his choices of fly rods for cutthroats g -- but that's where the change
came from.

--
Ed Huntress