Posted to uk.d-i-y
andrew andrew is offline

Default Chainsaw oil

ARWadsworth wrote:

All they all the same.

Or is there a bod standard oil I can use instead?

There are different types, the basic is just straight sae 30 with an anti
fling additive, for occasional use a cheap engine oil is a good substitute
but it's wasteful of the additives, a look at the COSSH sheet confirms
this. The oiler may need turning up because of the lack of anti fling.

Otheres are emulsions of biodegradeble oils, these tend to be expensive.

Others still are just vegetable oil.

A chap I knew decided pulp cutting was no job for old men so he became a
mature student at Bangor and did his thesis on vegetable oil for chainsaw
lubrication. He went on to work for tha Forestry Commision and last I heard
some 15 years ago he took a position with an oil company.
What he found was that because of the different charges on vege oil it is
attracted to metal, so you use less. Also at the boundary of lubrication it
actually forms a compound with the metal surface which prevents wear.

Before he worked for the oil company he advised straigh OSR from a
supermarket. I used it until I stopped cutting 3 years ago. I suspect there
is slightly more bar wear and it needs regular use otherwise the saw
becomes all green and furry. I use mineral oil before storage.

Many sites (SSSIs and sensitive water areas) mandate the use of
biodegradable oils.

AJH