Posted to uk.d-i-y
Reentrant[_3_] Reentrant[_3_] is offline

Default T-nuts

On 26/07/2011 14:52, pcb1962 wrote:
On Jul 26, 2:33 pm, wrote:

I was surprised to find the nuts weren't tapped all the way through. The
supplier said they are all like that, so the bolts have to be exactly
the right length. Is that true? It means the bolts have to be
pretty-much exactly the right length.

You're not supposed to use a bolt, you use a stud with a nut and
washer on top.
Nothing to stop you tapping them all the way through. The reason
they're made that way is so that you don't distort the slots on a
milling machine table where the slot is not open below the T-nut.

Thanks all. I saw T-bolts but thought that would leave the threaded-end
sticking up into the work area unless they too were just the right length.

For this application there is no bottom to the slot so nuts work better.
Anyway, problem solved as I shortened the bolts I had - with an angle
grinder.

--
Reentrant