Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.railway
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Welding cast iron

On 26/07/2011 14:15, Andy Breen wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:52:54 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

Supplementary question, when did the railways start taking 'builders'
photos' of new engines?

I think the answer there would be "as soon as there was a photographer
in the town", or at least one who charged rates they were prepared to
pay.

In places like Swindon, Crewe, Doncaster and so on I suspect any
enterprising photographer would have been keen to quote special rates to
a customer who was going to be good for repeat business for a long
period of time.

They were a powerfully good way of advertising a product, and
emphasised that firm/company was right on top of new technology. Modern,
and all that..

Having looked at a photo of a South Devon Pearson loco I'm not so sure :-)

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail