Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

Default Replacing a BT (GPO) Block Terminal

In article

"Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631" writes:

There are a variety of (older?) news readers which don't act in a
similar way to "Windows" and don't wrap lines. One terminal I was
using a few years ago dinged its 'bell' (I think it was a speaker,
to sound out a ding, rather than a bell - anyone know about VT52s?)

VT52s used a hardware buzzer: a relay with a contact which broke the
electro-magnet's supply when it operated, so that the armature "buzzed".

Mind you, all the VT52s I used to use were swopped out and replaced with
VT100s and above by 1983.

I'd recommend
www.makeashorterlink.com (which displays the full length
URL, so one can copy the full URL and/or avoid visiting the site, if a
commission or other site is seen) : it gives about 5 seconds before the
browser is redirected, whereas tinyurl.com goes straight there (for now,
I wonder if they'll eventually do something to pop-up adverts as it can
hardly do them much good just zipping off to the other site). Peter M.

Someone (was it you) in this thread said that tinyurl is NOT (as I had
imagined) ephemeral. So that useless URL complete with session
identifier is now permanently part of their canon. Seems a terrible
waste of resources: I can envisage a time when they decide that they will
not after all keep such shorter links in perpetuity.

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
"We can no longer stand apart from Europe if we would. Yet we are