Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Atlas Shrugged": From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:31:10 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

Yes, and wasn't there something Jesus said about how you treat the least
among us was the same as how you treated him? I mean, come on, when
ideas like that, which are thousands of years old, still have not gotten
through the heads of people then what's the use?

When you can't understand that it's only right to care for and help the
weakest in our society, and that the strongest (wealthiest) ought to be
paying the most to do it, then you're just plain stupid or evil. Look,
they understood the benefit of having the strong help the weak thousands
of years ago. What kind of person in today's world doesn't see the value
in that? If they can't then they sure can't call themselves a Christian.

Hawke

I think you paint with an awfully broad brush. For example, the Amish
don't participate in Social Security, nor do they participate in the
workmens compensation system. They do take care of each other, but
don't contribute to the general social welfare of the rest of us, not
that they don't sometimes help an "English" neighbor. They're highly
religious, but they don't participate in the system.

Most of the better off people that I know, already contribute a fair
amount to charities and agree with the general sentiment of helping
those in genuine need. Where they disagree is where the cutoff points
should be and that they shouldn't be carrying the majority of the
burden.

RWL

" Republicans or Democrats donate more money to charity?
I've seen reports where "red states" contribute more money than "blue
states" to charity.

I think there are books out there where conservatives are well known to
contribute to charity more so than liberals.

So don't you find it ironic than true die hard liberals are always
stating they want to help the poor but they hard much less likely to
contribute than conservatives?

Personally I'm a fiscal conservative. Generally vote Republicans but
have voted for fiscal Democratic political candidates in the past.

My first part time paycheck (this was making $4/hr ) when I was a
teenager, my parents forced me to give $25 of it to the local hospital
cause it helps the community. So you can't make the excuse you don't
have money to donate.

Now I am in my 30s, I make much more, my cash contributions are growing
the more I make. I contributed over $7K last year to non profits (mainly
hospital, ALS organization, both my wife and my universities). That's
not including the free work I do on weekends with my volunteer work.

To me, it just seems like the liberals are contradicting themselves when
they don't participate in what they preach: that's to help the poor.
They just want the government to take money from others and give it back
to the poor. Liberals don't believe the private sector can do as good a
job as the public sector in helping the poor.

If Obama/Democrats hits me with an extra $2-5K in extra taxes, I'd
rather not pay that tax and just contribute that extra money to the
charities I believe in. Cause I would know where that money is going. If
I give it back to the government, who knows what they will waste it on."

Read mo
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...#ixzz1TBpz56nY

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.