Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default OT - Which ?

On 26 July, 09:32, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in ...

In article ,
* Mark wrote:
That it was not officially imported till 1953 and didn't acquire
syncromesh on the top 3 gears until that year.
For 1954 the engine size increased from 1131cc to 1192cc with power
increased from 25 to 30 bhp.
1961 brought the 34 bhp engine, synco on first and more luggage space,
1962 a fuel gauge.
Hydraulic brakes were not fitted until 1964.*
12 volt electrics apparently had to wait for the 1300cc Beetle.

just to set you straight about one thing, Beetles had hydraulic brakes
from 1950. i had a 1954 Beetle in 1963, if i had to go back to that
time again and buy a 9 year old car with the same amount of money that
i had available it would be another Beetle. unmercifully threshed (no
speed limit on the M1 for another two years) but totally reliable.
What were you driving in the early 60s ?

Indeed. I've never owned a Beetle or even fancied one, but could see the
appeal. Some 20 odd million buyers can't be all wrong.

You have to remember that the beetle is the only car VW ever produced with
above average reliability.
This was due to its simple nature and a very under stressed air cooled
engine.
There was less to go wrong.

I have never owned a beetle either and have no intention of ever owning one,
I think they are poor by any standard.

ISTR They were expensive in their day compared to similar sized
models,

They sold on their legendary reliability. They were noisy and slow.
Didn't matter they always started on the button. In those days Lucas
starters and dynamos only lasted about 30,000 miles I.M.E.

Their best trick was their air tight cabin, Couldn't close the door
without cracking open a window.

If you didn't service them they broke down as I found out to my cost.

Engine was easily pulled out for repair. Jack up the tail, loosen all
the bolts on the bell housing, place spare wheel under engine and pull
hard on the exhaust pipes.

Paul Mc Cann