Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal &wood wedge in slot)?

On Jul 25, 11:13*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:22:10 +0000 (UTC), arkland
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:03:59 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Long term they are cheaper than wood. But they *are* heavier

Why?

I'm guessing they last longer than the wood hickory handles do?

Is that the reason?

Or that the head stays on longer?

Both. * *They take 100 times the abuse that a wood handle will-- and
leaving it out in the weather won't affect them. * *The head will rust
off before the plastic complains.

And the heads are epoxied in so they are permanent. * *If you managed
to break one, or cut it up with your chainsaw, or something, the only
way you'll remove the rest of the handle is with a torch.

But don't run out and buy plastic for all your weapons. *Try one-- *I
can live with its *very* different feel, but I can see where some
folks don't like them.

All my shovels, axes, heavy hammers and sledges now have plastic. [one
of the plastic shovel handles is on its 3rd shovel and I'm looking for
another broken handled shovel at a garage sale]

Jim

Those rubber donut "handly savers" do work. I used them for the first
time a few years ago. This year I had to reset both the sledge and
maul handle due to looseness. Handles were still fairly pristine and
solid. I shaved the handles a bit so they would go in further, wedges
driven and excess cut off. First time ever had a handle survive long
enough to be re-fitted.

Harry K