Posted to alt.home.repair
arkland arkland is offline

Default Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal &wood wedge in slot)?

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:54:29 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:

He started by saying the handle fit fine, but his description of how he
gorilla'd it on suggests otherwise...

Hmmm... maybe I misunderstood.

When I put the handle in the maul hole, it was 'perfect'.

That meant it was EXACTLY the same size.

So, I held the maul handle down over a concrete curb and banged down on
the handle.

The maul head easily slid down about, oh, an inch or more.

Then I banged harder on the concrete; the maul slid further; but there
was about, oh, say a half inch left between the top of the maul and the
top of the handle.

When I finally banged pretty darn hard, the top of the handle came flush.

At that point, I stopped banging. It was clear to me that if I banged the
handle down further the maul head would slip down further (there is still
an inch or so of handle taper left below the maul, which seems like a
weak point to me).

By that (more detailed) description, would you say that the maul fit or
didn't fit the handle?