Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Chapman Roger Chapman is offline

Default OT - Which ?

And if you actually read the site you've given, you'd discover the
Popular was basically a pre-war Anglia.

Based on, not was.

So name the important differences.

The 103E is not a car I have ever had any affinity for but the body
appears significantly different to me.

At 30 bhp even this bargain basement sidevalve was as
powerful as the Beetle.

Heh heh. From an engine which was lucky to do 30,000 miles before a major
overhaul.

What makes you think the Beetle of the same era was any different. And,
unlike Ford with a host of new models in addition to this very cheap
offering, VW had just the one in 1953. ISTR the VWs were by no means cheap.

*In the text of the article it actually says "brakes were hydraulic
drums except on standard model 1200s which stayed mechanical until 1964".

The E103 Popular only ever had the one size engine. And never gained
hydraulic brakes.

I have no idea what the quote above refers to. The later 100E Popular had
hydraulic brakes.

If you hadn't been so keen to delete the long list of improvements to
the Beetle you would have been able to relate that asterisk back to the
line that said the Beetle didn't get hydraulic brakes until 1964.

FWIW I still have not seen the original of the message Dave has now
replied to so Dave's butchering of that is doubly unfortunate as far as
I am concerned as I can't recall exactly what I wrote.

--
Roger Chapman