Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Al Moodie Al Moodie is offline

Default Connect TV audio output to old stereo amp

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:44:59 -0700, wrote:

First of all, do not use the phono input; it is designed for a
magnetic cartridge, has RIAA equilization, and will seriously
overamplify the bass frequencies.

I am using the AUX input.

Second, I would spend some time reading the manual for the TV, and
studying the function of the audio output RCA jacks. If they can be
configured to suit your purposes, they would be preferable to the
headphone jack.

I have used the headphone jack because it is accessible from the side
of the TV. Works just fine and the sound quality has improved. To
access the audio output jacks I will have to remove the TV from the
wall to gain access, a pain, but will do so when I have more time.

Third, you are setting up a situation where the TV will be turned
off, but the amplifier will still be on. For a number of reasons,
this is not desirable.

Other than I forget to turn it off when I go to bed, how is this
undesireable.

You have given me advice before on badcaps forum, small world, thanks
again.

Thanks to all who posted.

Al.