Bob Davis

Default Designing home office with plenty of space... suggestions please

I live and breathe with computers as tools for my work, but I do not
program. We've been living with furniture called "computer desks" from the
mid-80's when a PC was a major expense, monitors were big, and the CPU box
was big. Therefore, everything was built around it. I find that I no longer
want my computer to be the center of my desk. I want some broad and wide
horizontal space (sounds like a workbench, eh?). I sold my mega-sized
corner computer desk and replaced it with a large executive desk. Next up is
replacing the 19" monitor with an appropriate LCD panel.

Lastly, something I did a few years ago was get rid the contraption called a
keyboard drawer. They are ergonometrically unsound and inconvenient. I
discovered an articulating keyboard tray that tilts and adjusts height
without any knobs to tighten or loosen. You just grab the front edge of the
tray, tilt back slightly and you can raise or lower it, slide it in or out,
or even fold it up under the desk. It will bolt to the underside of any desk
or table and it leaves the desk top complete free and clear for paper work.
I'm 5'11". I adjust it for me. My wife is 5" 1". She can sit down and
quickly move the tray to her height in 3 seconds.

Using LCD panels and the keyboard tray I mentioned, you don't need to design
a computer specific desk or work area. Just bolt the tray on and sit the LCD
panel in front.

Here is a link to the tray I mention. http://tinyurl.com/2gxax

The actual mechanism is available from Rockler at http://tinyurl.com/2kzos.

Bob

"Alex" wrote in message
om...
Hi folks,

This might be kinda off topic, but I'm designing a computer desk or
room layout for my home office... and I'd like suggestions of others
who have tackled this.

I do web programming, so I have 3 computers with 4 monitors plus a
laptop. The room is 16 feet by 16 feet, and I have two closets.
Idealy the desk will take-up almost two full walls (including corner)
with desk space plus shelves. I also want to pull-up the carpet and
put-in a wooden floor so my chair will roll easier.

Can someone suggest a book or website that covers such projects? Or
if someone has done something similar, can you send suggestions or
photos?

I can do the wood work myself, but the planning is what I'm having
trouble with. Thanks in advance, and take care,

Alex.