Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_3_] Carl Ijames[_3_] is offline

Default Dishwashing machines need phosphates

You can also order it from www.mcmaster.com - put tsp in the search box,
about $4-5/lb depending on qty.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message ...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article ,
says...

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Where did you get TSP?

Best place is a paint store. I bought Savogran brand.

Be sure you are getting Trisodium Phosphate. Be aware that "TSP" is
not
definite, and sodium silicate is sometimes sold as TSP. Sodium
silicate
will not work, and may etch glass.

http://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10622...SP/dp/B000AXE7
CY

Read the first review.

Joe Gwinn

Also, you often can't find out what you have from the package label.
That's
when it's time to check online for the MSDS.

For example, the Savogran brand that Joe mentions, which I also bought
last
time, is 75% - 80% real TSP, which you can only learn from the MSDS.

But I don't know if all Savogran products labeled "TSP" are the same.
There
are several. You need the product number, too, which you can get off of
the
box. Mine is 10621. I bought it at Home Depot, which is not as reliable
as
getting it from a paint store.

The stuff I got at Home Despot says that it contains trisodium phosphate
and sodium carbonate, and that it is 6 percent phosphorus. Pure TSP
would be about 18 percent so it's mostly something else other than TSP.

Note that you can get photographic grade TSP from B&H photo for
$4.50/pound and shipping.

That's good to know. The critical use I have for it is in a brush-type
electrolytic rust/corrosion cleaning formula:

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/_199...es/E-CLEAN.TXT

It's a multi-part formula and I don't know *how* critical it is, but it
works great with the 75% - 80% Savogran.

--
Ed Huntress