Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.railway
Nick Leverton Nick Leverton is offline

Default Welding cast iron

In article ,
Roger Traviss wrote:
I remember reading of another incident with dropped plugs on a line in
the USA, run by a small team of volunteers on a shoestring like many
UK preserved lines. The sight gauges were furred up due to inadequate
procedures at overhaul IIRC, but as usual there was a catalogue of missed
opportunities to catch it. A good investigative report was printed
(don't remember if it was by the NTSC though ;-))

Most North American steam engine did NOT have fusible plugs, instead they
relied, if that's the right word, on low water alarms and crew vigilance. I
think the story you are referring to was the collapse of the crown sheet on
the Gettysburg Railroad engine number 1278, an ex Canadian Pacific 4-6-2 on
June 16th, 1995 while working a six-car train at about 15 mph near Gardners
Pennsylvania. The locomotive was not fitted with fusible plugs, a not
uncommon practice in North America.

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/loco1278.html

Thanks Roger, that's no doubt why I couldn't find it then !
The NTSB report is at
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/45374631...-Railroad-Near
amonst other locations.

Nick