William Tasso

Default Designing home office with plenty of space... suggestions please

Alex wrote:
Hi folks,

This might be kinda off topic, but I'm designing a computer desk or
room layout for my home office... and I'd like suggestions of others
who have tackled this.

I do web programming, so I have 3 computers with 4 monitors plus a
laptop. The room is 16 feet by 16 feet, and I have two closets.
Idealy the desk will take-up almost two full walls (including corner)
with desk space plus shelves. I also want to pull-up the carpet and
put-in a wooden floor so my chair will roll easier.

Can someone suggest a book or website that covers such projects? Or
if someone has done something similar, can you send suggestions or
photos?

I can do the wood work myself, but the planning is what I'm having
trouble with. Thanks in advance, and take care,

Dump any servers, routers, switches into the garage or under the stairs.
You don't need to sit by them and you can remote if necessary.

Run 3-compartment plastic trunking along the walls - either over or under
your desk - into this run a clean power supply and your network cables.
Install about 3 times as many power sockets as you think you will need and
at least twice as many network sockets.

You will need holes in the desk for cables - best size in the uk is 63.5mm -
at roughly 1m intervals.

The only tricky bit is connecting your office area to the server area, but
it sounds like you have practical skills.

Office chairs will wreck a wooden floor in no time - use a stronger covering
if you want to keep it nice.

--
William Tasso