Posted to uk.d-i-y
chudford chudford is offline

Default OT - help identifying this fruit tree please

On Jul 23, 1:36*pm, "Dave Baker" wrote:
At the end of our road on a patch of council land is a tree that bears
yellow/green plum-like fruit at this time of year. In flavour they are
exceeding sweet and delicious and doth greatly please the palate. The ripe
fruit are most wondrously uniform in size being all nearly exactly three
barleycorns in length, or one inch in the modern parlance, and a little less
in width by the measure of one half of a barleycorn.

The court artist has, at our command, made the most perfect representation
of the fruit and leaves which can be viewed in the following galleries.

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/Picture%20001.jpg

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/Picture%20002.jpg

The fruit don't have any waxy bloom on them like some plums. I did first
think they were probably greengages of some kind but those are supposed to
have a crease on one side of the fruit and these don't being perfectly
symmetrical.

So what are they and how does one grow them? I'd like to either grow some
from the stones in the fruit if that's possible although Google seems to
think that doesn't always result in a true copy of the parent plant, or from
cuttings, so I can take them with me when I move house.
--
Dave Baker

They are called bullaces, a form of wild plum.
Google has lots of information on them