Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default OT (kinda) Quick Pole Regarding Dish Network vs Direct TV - DONE!

On 7/23/2011 8:25 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jul 23, 4:09 pm, Bob wrote:
On Jul 21, 7:10 pm, wrote:

We live in a rural area in SE Kansas and our local, independent cable
provider just announced he will close shop at the end of July. I
would be irritated but he guy is 72 years old and has provided
excellent service for years. He can't find a buyer and is worn out.

We are comparing Dish vs Direct. Quite frankly Dish seems to be
looking better, but:

What do you guys think?

RonB

I sent Dish an email and asked them why a new customer gets such great
deals and loyal customers of 12+ years get nothing. They gave me the
same offer and I had to act-on it in 90 days.
I don't think DirecTV would have paid any attention.

We are starting with Dish. Two year contract with 120 channel package
includes free HD for life, free DVR, free installation for up to 6
rooms (Only need three). First year discount from $44.95 to $29.95.
However you have to pay a $6/mo "maintenance" fee for the DVR if you
get it. We decided to skip the DVR since our TV has a built in DVR
which we seldom use. We are adding a $3 bundle for three outdoor
sports channels. We also got a $50 referral discount from a
neighbor. Probably more TV than we will need.

A local Dish company set up shop in our grocery store and will have us
hooked up mid-week.

And if we want they will mount the #@%^!)& antenna on a POLE! )

RonB

I don't know all the particulars, but what if the subscribers buy out
the cable company and make it a co-op. There are many small co-op cable
companies in the country ... there used to be even a lot more, but Dish
and DirecTV have probably killed them. BTW, beware of the 722 Dish DVR.
It's a box full of software and hardware errors. I've had 3 of them
over 2 years and all three do the same identical dumb things. When
skipping, it's a crap shoot where they might skip to. They occasionally
get so goofed up, you have to re-boot the unit. Sometimes when it gets
really screwed up, it even reboots by itself.