Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal &wood wedge in slot)?

On Jul 23, 10:54*am, Larry Fishel wrote:
On Jul 21, 5:41*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Jul 19, 7:34*pm, arkland wrote:
Then I should have skinnied down the hickory handle!

I missed that. You say the handle fits. *DO NOT SKINNY DOWN THE
HANDLE. *It will be forever loose if you do.

He started by saying the handle fit fine, but his description of how
he gorilla'd it on suggests otherwise...

A well fitting handle does need to be driven in. I fit them by
shaving down with broken glass. Takes off a few thousandths at a
time, trial fit (drive until it won't go) , remove head, shave a bit
at the marking, repeat until it goes all the way, If you can slip
the handle on without hammering or tapping the handle on something
solid it is too loose.

Harry K