Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 400 Hz

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:57:55 -0700 (PDT), Dave__67
wrote:

On Jul 21, 12:41*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
I have an old Yamaha 2600 watt generator. *When I bought it years ago it was
awesome. *I was even able to run my compressor off of it in a pinch. *It was
clean too. *Computers TVs. *No issue. *I haven't fired it up in several
years, but last year we had a power failure at the house for 3/4 day, and I
tried to run our fridge off of it, The fridge never started. *It ran lights
just fine. and I was able to run my table saw or my band saw, but they just
didn't sound right. *I pulled out my old Radio Shack meter flipped it to
frequency mode and checked it. *Yep 400 hz. *This meter very reliabley shows
household 110 at 59-60 so I know its not out in left field.

Where do I start looking to fix the generator?

It could be it is still 60Hz, but an extremely crappy or dirty
waveform is tricking the meter. That might change the diagnosis/
troubleshooting procedure.

Dave

A scope really really helps diagnosing this sort of thing, for exactly
that reason.

Btw..if one owns a genny..just a heads up...

I am a "survivalist"..and I do own and maintain a number of generators.
And I have on my checklist for each unit.
".Run for 30-60 minutes every 6 months or MORE" And change the fuel
every year!!

Which I do religiously and have had NO failures in the 35 yrs Ive had
gennies around the homestead(s)

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.