Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 400 Hz

On 2011-07-22, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:41:44 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I have an old Yamaha 2600 watt generator. When I bought it years ago it was
awesome. I was even able to run my compressor off of it in a pinch. It was

[ ... ]

As others have mentioned, check the output with a scope. I suspect the
digital meter was getting fooled. From past experience, I wouldn't
trust my Fluke 87 to tell me the frequency on a gen-set output. Might
be right, might not be...

One other thing, if you can still find one -- is a reed type
power line frequency meter. It has a line of reeds mounted end on with
a white weight on the end towards you. All are surrounded by a coil
connected to the power source, and whichever reed is tuned closest to
the power line frequency will show as a wide blur, while the others will
be pretty close to stationary.

O.K. Here is what one looks like:

http://www.learn-about-electronics.com/frequency-meters.html

I've got one which has two active zones -- one centered around
60 Hz, and one around 50 Hz. Somewhere else I once had one centered
around 400 Hz.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564