Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default 400 Hz

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:41:44 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I have an old Yamaha 2600 watt generator. When I bought it years ago it was
awesome. I was even able to run my compressor off of it in a pinch. It was
clean too. Computers TVs. No issue. I haven't fired it up in several
years, but last year we had a power failure at the house for 3/4 day, and I
tried to run our fridge off of it, The fridge never started. It ran lights
just fine. and I was able to run my table saw or my band saw, but they just
didn't sound right. I pulled out my old Radio Shack meter flipped it to
frequency mode and checked it. Yep 400 hz. This meter very reliabley shows
household 110 at 59-60 so I know its not out in left field.

Where do I start looking to fix the generator?

Were you using an extension cord? A nice heavy one is usually needed to
run a refrigerator like 12 gauge, maybe 14 gauge if it isn't over maybe
50 feet.

Also check the throttle, make sure it is free to move. Neighbor had a
nice Honda 3500 with a gummed/stuck throttle. It was stuck where it
normally ran without much load. When you tried to load it down the
governor couldn't move it for more power...

As others have mentioned, check the output with a scope. I suspect the
digital meter was getting fooled. From past experience, I wouldn't
trust my Fluke 87 to tell me the frequency on a gen-set output. Might
be right, might not be...

Is this an EF2600?

Looking at the manual he

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....als/EF2600.pdf

It doesn't appear to be an inverter model...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b