Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default cast to PVC

On Jul 21, 11:16*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
I need to add a trap to my cast iron drain in my basement.

I'm going to remove my 4" cleanout and run the trap into that fitting.

Here's the difficulty:
My cleanout plug is threaded into a bushing held into the bell end of
a cast fitting. *The threaded cleanout is a little shy of 4" (about 3
15/16) *I bought a 4" threaded male PVC fitting but it is about 4 1/4.

Do they make a threaded PVC fitting that will go into a 4" female
steel?

Should I just remove the bushing and get the rubber boot that will let
me go from the bell end of the cast down to 4" PVC?

Well I wire brushed and sprayed the cleanout with PB blaster on my way
out the door this morning. When I got home I sprayed some more. No
luck. The fitting would not unscrew.

No matter, I already bought a 4" hub to 3" PVC Fernco donut. Melted
the all the lead out with a brazing torch then had to drill around the
steel bushing to get it to come out. Now I'm left with a 4" cast iron
hub.

Freakin donut is loose in the hub! I did some googling and it seems
that not all hubs are created equal size. Mine is marked 4xH PE but
the donut is no way gonna seal.

I wrapped a rag around the donut and got a seal for the night but now
I gotta figure some other way to get a seal...