Posted to sci.electronics.repair
George Jetson[_3_] George Jetson[_3_] is offline

Default Humidity Sensor Goldstar DH305 Dehumidifier Dew

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I appreciate the tip GJ, and I had seen a replacement (suggested on a
forum).. actually it includes the harness assy with the sensor board, a
cold sensor and the mating connector for the float switch (for about the
same price not incl shipping).
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...deh umidifier

Did you use the replacement part, and has the dehumidifier worked for
longer than one season?

The sensor module in this DH305 unit also has a small thermistor (I think
for ambient temp, because generally, dehumidifiers aren't supposed to be
run when ambient is below about 60F), and a 3-wire lead.

BTW, the Samyoung PDF info states the sensor is resistive.

This appears to be the RH sensor in the DH305 model, with specs very
similar to the Samyoung in the PDF you provided:
http://www.sangshinec.com/eng/hum_ksh02.htm

The actual value of a used dehumidifier is fairly low, probably less than
50% of what a new one could be bought for, so spending $32 to repair a
unit worth about $40 doesn't appeal to me.. particularly since the next
fault may be only weeks away.
This is, after all, just another example of low grade consumer crap.

I didn't want to get into a research project, but that's typical of
repairing anything these days.
Trouble is.. I got curious (again).

I don't need/want repair work, and my friends understand that.
I prefer to spend my time on my stuff of higher quality and greater value.

--
Cheers,
WB

"George Jetson" wrote in message
"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
A friend asked me to attempt to find a fault in a short-lived
dehumidifier that functioned well for 1 season, but failed to operate
after being unused until needed again.

The sensor for the relative humidity is a thin ceramic square with
interlaced finger patterns deposited on the ceramic (looks like a
VCR/camcorder dew sensor). This sensor is placed inside the front grille
in path of the incoming air flow (but inside a small vented plastic
box).
As the humidity rises, the very high resistance decreases.

I recently tried to troubleshoot a Zenith dehumidifier that turned out ot
be a LG underneath. The humidy sensor was made by these guys

http://www.samyoungsnc.com/products/SYH-2R.pdf

and is capacitive in design. The board also has a thermistor with a
2wire plus common wiring harness and sells for 27USD in Ohio.
--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead
fingers.

My bad, the pdf I pointed you to was resistive but there was another that is
capacitive.

I got off the hook fixing this dehumidifier as its still under warranty.
The problem started 3 months after purchase and others report about 1 yr
before it occurs.

The symptoms were shutting down after 2 seconds and throwing a 01 error
code. The mfg doesn't have any online info about error codes. Many others
seem to be suffering this error as well.

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.