Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default New study on wind energy

"chaniarts" writes:

wrote:
Jim Yanik writes:

wrote in :

Jim Yanik writes:

wrote in :

then there's inverter maintenance,and if storage
batteries used,battery maintenance. Plus,the hazards of battery
chemicals and lead,along with fire hazard.

Just looked up maintenance procedure for a solar panel
inverter.

"replace every 10 years".

mine are warranteed for 25 years for failure and will produce 95% of new
power ratings.

what about dust,power surges,electrolytic capacitor dryout,etc?
Cap failure is a common occurrence in power systems.

Yeah, what about them. They're also subject to random meteorite hits.
Anything can go wrong. Still the cost of maintenance remains replace
every 10 years unless you have some other source to cite.

the converter has a 10 year warrantee. that doesn't mean the need
replacement at that time. they could last 25 years or more.

your a/c has a 5 year warrantee. do you replace it every 5 years?

No I don't.

Just trying to be generous. The original statement was that inverters
required "maintenance". I thought maintenance on a piece of electronics
sounded weird so I looked it up. The only thing I could find is someone
saying to replace them every 10 years.

If it was my PV array, I'd take that as a cue to have a replacement on
hand around year 10 if I really had to keep the array going.

Like you, I wouldn't be surprised at 25 years.

Anyway, all these arguments about the draw backs of PV arrays strike me
as weird. As if someone had a belief system that wouldn't survive if
they admitted that PV arrays generate power.

--
Dan Espen