Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default New study on wind energy

wrote:
Jim Yanik writes:

wrote in :

Jim Yanik writes:

wrote in :

harry writes:

On Jul 20, 12:23Ã, am, jamesgangnc
wrote:
On Jul 19, 7:02Ã, pm, Frank
wrote: All power plants have maintenance costs.

PV?

Pretty low maintenance costs.

solar uses a lot of water,gotta keep the panels clean.

Just watched a video.
Every 2 weeks:
Wipe off dust with dry towel.

That video isn't telling you everything.
wiping without water means scratches that lower output.
It also doesn't remove bird crap or tree sap.

Dust lightly with soft towel.

Wash with towel dampened in water, vinegar, detergent.

That doesn't sound like a lot of water.

for all those panels?
it has to be done more often than every two weeks,too.

Yes, all those panels.
The video said every 2 weeks.
How much dirt is in the air where you live?
In places with no rain, just dusting will do the job.
Downwind of a coal plant, maybe more than every 2 weeks.
I still see no evidence that more often than 2 weeks is required.

So I still don't see a lot of water being used.

i have 44 panels on my roof. it takes about 2 gallons of water to wash them.
no additives to the water, just plain water. at the end, i get dirty water,
that goes on a plant.

if you have tree sap on your panels, then you have them installed in the
wrong place. there shouldn't be any nearby trees.

simple dusting won't work. the dust gets baked on and sticks.

then there's inverter maintenance,and if storage
batteries used,battery maintenance. Plus,the hazards of battery
chemicals and lead,along with fire hazard.

Just looked up maintenance procedure for a solar panel
inverter.

"replace every 10 years".

mine are warranteed for 25 years for failure and will produce 95% of new
power ratings.

what about dust,power surges,electrolytic capacitor dryout,etc?
Cap failure is a common occurrence in power systems.

Yeah, what about them. They're also subject to random meteorite hits.
Anything can go wrong. Still the cost of maintenance remains replace
every 10 years unless you have some other source to cite.

the converter has a 10 year warrantee. that doesn't mean the need
replacement at that time. they could last 25 years or more.

your a/c has a 5 year warrantee. do you replace it every 5 years?

BTW,I note that the system you cited uses TRACKING solar panels,so
there's maintenance on the mechanicals that move the panels.Then
there's snow/ice removal,seeing as it's up North(N.Jersey?).

The system at Bell Labs is not tracking.

They could remove snow if they want, or just wait until it slides off.
We get snowfall in Central NJ but it's not going to stick to a slick
glass panel for long.

Anyway, it mostly just sits there and pours electricity into the
grid. Pretty cool, especially with this heat, you can imagine
all the air conditioners it's running.

"POURS" electricity? how big a plant is it? how many MW?

1.2MW:

http://newprovidence.patch.com/artic...ystem-to-power
-bell-labs-campus-3 http://tinyurl.com/3srexrm

It probably runs THEIR AC and maybe the building lights.

The building is pretty big. The article says it's enough power to
power 200 homes.

Is that peak or average output?

Read the article or do more research.

I don't get it. Are you against power generation or does it just
feel good to point out that someone has to push the snow off the
panel.

Sure there are problems, I'm well aware of all the issues, I've heard
it
all before. I still see an open field that wasn't doing anything but
growing grass, still growing grass but now also pushing some power
into the grid. It's going to take a lot of fancy BS to convince me
this is a bad thing.