Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Humidity Sensor Goldstar DH305 Dehumidifier Dew

Yep.. I vaguely recall a VCR having a false problem with the Dew indicator
being on, and failing to operate, but that was a long time ago.

When I pried open the plastic capsule for the dehumidifier's RH sensor, a
VCR sensor was the first thing that occurred to me.
I remember playing around with some of the VCR dew sensors but hadn't
actually tried using them for any other uses.

If I manage to get this unit to operate safely and relatively normally, I'll
accept that it's good enough.. it may not operate quite as efficiently, but
I don't see that it was rated as a high-efficiency/energy star unit, anyway
(and I have the user manual that was supplied).
BTW, there's a caution, which states.. Don't drink the water from the
dehumidifier!

I've modified older models to just cycle the compressor on for a reasonable
time with the fan running continuously, and they captured a lot of moisture
from the air.. in fact, very close to their original quarts-per-day rating
when they were new.

That was the reason for the "unnecessarily overcomplicated" comment in my
original post.

If this unit had been manufactured with a mechanical film strip RH
sensor/switch, it likely would have operated normally until a major problem
developed, likely many years later.
But oh****no, the geniuses had to implement a microprocessor for a simple
appliance.

The consumers get it again.. BOHICA

--
Cheers,
WB

"N_Cook" wrote in message
I've just remembered a problem with vcr (generally?) humidity sensors. I
tried one as a window condensation sensor to cut in fans to dispel window
condensation. If humidity was low then R was low ,and high for humid , but
if the sensor got wet from condensation it would go low and stay low until
dried out naturally or forced. Or maybe resistance the other way round but
they were literally humidity sensors , not moisture