Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default Wide vs narrow blades (was: New study on wind energy)

harry again used improper usenet message composition style by
full-quoting:

So by that logic, a sailing ship would be propelled faster (capture
more wind energy) by having a small sail vs a large sail.

Great logic.

You may have noticed (or more likely not) the blades are not set at
90d to the airflow.
Have you not thought that there might be a reason for this?

The point I was making (which seems to have gone right over your head
like a breeze of air) is that the amount of energy you can capture from
the wind is proportional to the amount of surface area your "conversion
surface" has. Since a wind turbines "conversion surface" must rotate in
a stationary location, that surface must be angled with respect to the
direction of the wind. But a ship naturally does not want to be
stationary and hence it extracts the maximal amount of energy from the
wind by having the sails at exactly 90 degrees to wind direction.

I'm surprised I have to explain such a fundamental and elementary
concept in such excruciating detail. Are you perhaps female - and hence
you have a problem grasping forces and physical principles?