Posted to comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Linux DVB and digital switchover in the UK

Pete Shew wrote:
For those of you who run TV cards on Linux in the UK..and are having
trouble retuning using 'scan' because the transmitter files that come
with the standard distros of dvb utilities don't work any more, here is
the way to sort out how to patch them

First of all you need to find the transmitter definition files.

Mine were in /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t

Copy the one you use into somewhere else - home directory
Go to this website

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodec...23+4AG/NA/0/NA

The important thing is to declare yourself trade, and the postcode is
obvious from the above URL (this one is in Surrey)

That nets you your local transmitter data.

To convert channel number to frequency, as the transmitter files
require, take the channel number and add 38.25 to it, and multiply by 8.
That's the frequency in MHz.

If there is a plus after the channel number add 0.167 MHZ.

E.g. channel 50+ is 88.25 * 8= 706MHz plus 0.167MHZ = 706167000 HZ.

That's the second parameter of the new entry.

The third is always 8Mhz, the channel bandwidth.

The fourth sixth and seventh are modulation types. If you hover the
mouse cursor over the channel number on that page, they are revealed .
I.e

64QAM 2/3 8k DVB-T

These go in the fields in the new entry in the transmitter file so e.g.

T 706167000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE

is a valid entry

I have no idea what the 5th, 8th and 9th parameters are I left those as
NONE, 1/32, and NONE

My modified uk-sudbury file is this

# UK, Sudbury
# T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
# 49+ MUX A SDN
T 698167000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 2k 1/32 NONE
#41 MUX2 d3 &4
T 634000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE
#44 MUX-1 BBCA
T 658000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE
#47 (HD)
T 682000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM256 32k 1/32 NONE
#54 Arqiva A
T 738000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE
#50+ Arqiva B
T 706167000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE

Hope this helps anyone else struggling to retune - several times - in
the mass switchover being undertaken this year.

Note. Scan didn't understand the HD MUX. Which is OK because neither
does my Hauppage dongle :-)

Note this is all Linux specific. Most other TV software has better self
scanning than Linux :-)

Thanks, I will know if I need it on August 3rd.

Can you tell me what the other events after steps 1 and 2 mean, i.e.
"COM late power up" and "Reception change"?

COM late power up I take to mean 'we got the channels in place, now we
will put in a bigger transmitter'

'Reception change' could mean anything. Relocating a transmitter array.
on the pole?

Ask Tony Sayer.

My guiding motto when in business was 'only learn as much as you need
to, to get the task in hand done' :-)

Pete