Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal & wood wedge in slot)?

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 02:36:42 +0000 (UTC), arkland
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:11:24 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I bought those ugly yellow handles that last forever

The "ugly yellow handles' were both more expensive and quite a bit
heavier (maybe three times heavier) when I held one the wood in one hand
and the yellow fiberglass in the other hand.

Long term they are cheaper than wood. But they *are* heavier-- and
just don't have the 'feel' of wood. I've gotten used to them, but I
don't swing them every day like I used to.

So, I opted for good old hickory.

If you found a hickory handle that was any good- you're a better man
than I am. The last *good* hickory handle I bought was from an old
German guy who made them in 1975. I've had store bought ones split
on the first day out.

In hindsight, would the installation have been any different on the
yellow fiberglass handles?

The ones I got fit fairly loosely and then you poured epoxy around
them. I've got a 6?lb hammer, a 12-15 pound sledge and a felling
axe that haven't budged in 20 years or so-- and though I don't use
them so much anymore, the first 10 years were pretty regular-- and
they've all had the bejeezus abused out of them.

Jim