Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default pillar drills

On 20 July, 10:33, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article o.uk,
* *Dave Liquorice wrote:

Agreed, but it depends on the intended use. I have £40 "Performance
Power" (or similar "brand") small bench mounted pillar drill. Worth
it's weight in gold for what I use it for, nothing demanding 1/1000th
inch accuracy just consistent multiple 90 degree to the face in 2D
drilling at a fixed distance from an edge.

Totally agree. I had one of the original Nu-Tool bright green 40 quid ones
from B&Q. So superior to a B&D drill and stand that went before.

Three things I wished could be improved with it.

The motor didn't have enough power for say large holesaws.
A bigger maximum distance between table and chuck - with a larger drill
bit and using a vice, this clearance wasn't adequate for even quite small
items.
A better 'fit' for the sliding bit the chuck fits. Too much slop which
couldn't be adjusted out satisfactorily.

I recently replaced it with a Lidl one which addresses the first two
points. The motor has more than adequate power. Slightly more range (about
an inch) - any was welcome. The slop is no worse.
If I could find the correct diameter tube for the pillar I'd fit a
slightly longer one still.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Two things to look for. One is throat depth, (Distance of chuck from
pillar ) and second is quill travel (The amount of vertical travel in
the chuck) In both cases bigger is better especially if you want to do
a bit of woodworking. Also if you want it for woodworking then a
square table is more convenient for fitting an auxiliary table
compared to a round table

I wouldn't bother worrying about attaching a morticer. They need a
good strong motor and substantial strength in the geared rise and
fall. Even then the common Taiwanese/Chines morticing attachments are
s***e. Been there, done that, then bought the Multico.

Its the old story. The more you pay the more you get.

Must say, I lust after a Meddings. Scarce this side of the Irish Sea.

Paul Mc Cann