Posted to uk.d-i-y
Julian[_3_] Julian[_3_] is offline

Default pillar drills

On Jul 19, 9:03*pm, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I'm thinking it would be useful to have a pillar drill but don't know
much about them. What should I look for? What should I avoid?

I also see that some are "desktop" models but others are 6', like
this:http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...1f-drill-press

I haven't looked at this model closely, I'm just using it to
illustrate the size.

Is one size better than the other? Or is it that you use the big one
for tall objects, if so, what sort of things?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I remember the floor mounted pillar drills I used at school some years
ago, had safety foot switches built into the base, and always thought
this would be an essential feature if I ever bought my own pillar
drill. They were Boxford make and were old but good quality, although
one of the brand new pillar drills used to wobble slightly as if the
column was not strong enough, which is something I like to check first
if I was buying floor mounted one.