Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal &wood wedge in slot)?

In article ,
arkland wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:14:56 -0700, harry wrote:

The hole in the hammer head is tapered. You put your handle in from the
small side so that the wedge opens out the timber and the handle can't
come off

Hmmmmmm? I 'looked' at both ends of the metal head and didn't see either
side being larger than the other. There was a "6LB" & the company name
stamped on one side of the maul head and nothing on the other side. That
seemed to be the only difference.

Do the maul heads really have a top side and a bottom side?

Many do. I have also seen some that had sort of an hourglass cross section.
The cheapest (or least-well designed) may have a straight sided bore.