Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak willshak is offline

Default New WD-40 use. was I've Rediscovered WD-40

willshak wrote the following:
Jack Stein wrote the following:
On 7/15/2011 7:12 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:

All good ideas, Robert. I especially like the hose bibb fittings
and the
pressure washer. I'll get right on it!

The large rubber bushings/gaskets on my 1 1/2" PVC couplings and
connections on my pool piping used to be a bitch to tighten and
needed at least channel locks to get tight. Once I spray them with
WD40 they hand tighten with ease, and no leaks. Works good on
regular rubber hose washers as well. Seems to keep them in good
shape with no age cracks or dry rotting.

Two indispensable lubricants in my house are WD-40 and Vasoline.
I use plain vasoline on my pool fittings and valves instead of the
very expensive silicone lubricant that comes in the tiny tubes at pool
stores.

Update:
The other day I was going through the crap stored in my garage to see
what I could throw awayand came across my old softball glove. It was an
old Ted Williams model from Sears, and last used about 15 years ago when
I played in soft pitch beer leagues and could still run between bases at
full gallop.
It looked like hell and seemed more destined for the trash than anything
else. It had mold in places and the lacing straps were kinda stiff and
it didn't fold too easily when I placed it on my hand.
Just for kicks and with nothing to lose, I sprayed it all over with
WD-40 and rubbed it all in, then wiped it with dry rags. The mold was
gone and the laces were soft again. I put it on and it seemed to be as
good as new. It's been a couple of days since and it doesn't even have
an oily smell, although it does have a slightly darker color.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY