Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal &wood wedge in slot)?

On Jul 18, 11:14*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 19, 5:26*am, Harry K wrote:

On Jul 18, 7:54*pm, arkland wrote:

My 6-pound sledge handle broke trying to split heavy (but still wet) oak
(which is another story altogether).

So I bought, for $19 + tax, a hickory "round" sledge handle which had a
slot at the top, and came with a metal "wedge" plus what looks like a
larger poplar wedge.

My QUESTION:
I understand the 'proper' way would have been to insert the 6-pound
sledge head onto the round handle, then insert the wood parallel inside
the pre-cut slot, and then, insert the metal wedge perpendicular (as was
the original handle).

However ...

When I 'tapped' the heavy sledge head onto the handle, it fit perfectly.
That is, there is no slot anymore! No place to put the wood wedge. Maybe
I could put the metal wedge in crosswise ... but ... I don't have
experience in this.

Since I don't have experience ... May I ask ...

What is the prognosis? Will the sledge head (eventually?) fly off? Must I
insert the wood and metal wedges provided?

Or, is it just fine as long as the sledge head is tight on the hickory
handle?

The head will come loose very quickly with any use.

If you can get the head back off the way to proceed is to start the
wood wedge in the slot before slipping the head on. *Using heavy
hammer then drive the handle as far as you can. * You said it fit
fine. *I have always had to do some shaving on mine.

To get the head back off, hold the sledge up with one hand on the
handle and use a heavy hammer to drive the head off, alternately blows
from side to side.

When it is driven tight, there should be some excess sticking out on
he 'wedge side'. *Drive the wedge down as far as you can then cut the
excess handle off flush with the head. *A hacksaw works good for
that. *Then drive the metal wedge in.

I find that the 'handle protectors' (rubber donuts) will moe than
double the life of a sledge or maul.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Further to the above. The hole in the hammer head is tapered. You put
your handle in from the small side so that the wedge opens out the
timber and the handle can't come off- Hide quoted text -

Yep. One of my problems doing handles on my equipment is that both
maul and sledge are so old I can't read the markings and am never sure
which is the small side .

Harry K