Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal &wood wedge in slot)?

On Jul 19, 6:11*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:

-snip-

The hole in the head of the sledge should be tapered...the wood wedge
expands the handle in one direction to expand the handle into the taper, the
steel wedge expands it in the other direction. *Once the handle is expanded,
the sledge head can't come flying off so yes, you have to use the wedges
even if it means skinnying down the handle a bit.

I haven't done one in 20 years [when I bought those ugly yellow
handles that last forever] -- *but *that* is the proper way. * *Use a
rasp to make the handle fit snugly while still leaving a small slot to
start that poplar wedge. * *Pound that one home- then put the metal
one in crosswise.

Rasping makes the handle stick better. * Don't widen the slot.

Jim

Starging the wedge befor inserting handle works very well for me.

Harry K