Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Seeking a well education

In article
,
" wrote:

Given what you have to work with, I'd think a piece of steel fastened
the upright pipe coming out of the well head with a couple of
hose clamps might be your best option. They have square tubular
type stock at HD or Lowes that might give you the right distance
between the pipe and the electrical connection that the box needs
to mate up to. Then you could mount the box to that.

Thanks, I can custom fabricate any sort of mounting bracket in the
machine shop, so that aspect isn't too daunting.

Kind of amazing that a well expert would give that whole thing
an OK on a pre-sale inspection. I don't expect them to be an
electrical guru, but at the very least, if I was giving an opinion
I'd say something along the lines of "Strongly suggesty you
have the electrical portion of this evalutated by an electrician
because it does not appear to comply with code...." Did a
home inspector not red flag the electrical? Or did he call it
out and they get off the hook based on the well guy?

The home inspector doesn't cover wells, so that inspection was left to
the well guy, whose only report was that the pump was weak. I don't
quite remember whether the guy who inspected the pump was the guy who
replaced the pump, but probably. This isn't my city, so everyone
involved were people recommended by our realtor, and in most cases I
never met them in person. There was an electrician there at one time to
repair one of the issues that the home inspector found.

The house was completely remodeled by the previous owner, who did a lot
of the work himself. The remodel was permitted, but I'm guessing no one
checked up on workmanship. None of the electrical boxes in the attic or
crawlspace had cover plates, for example. One of the bathroom sinks had
hot and cold supply lines reversed. The shower pan leaked and the whole
shower had to be rebuilt at the seller's expense.

The house was originally built in 1930 and presumably the well at the
same time. A casual observer would not notice that it is situated a few
hundred yards outside the city limit, which might have contributed to a
lack of official inspection after the remodel.