Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Seeking a well education

John Grabowski wrote:

Confess that I don't know a well from a hole in the ground, but since
I've been 1/2 owner of one for a couple of years I think I'd like to
begin to understand the thing. If you're having a particularly boring
day you're welcome to view pics:

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/7t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/8t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/9t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/10t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/12t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/14t.jpg

I have no idea what any of that stuff is, other than the hose bibs. I
think my main questions at this point a

1. Does all this look reasonable and normal?

*No. There is a broken electrical conduit nipple for the pump controller
at
the wellhead. The controller looks like it was made for indoors. Duct
tape
is not an approved cover fastener. The wiring at the tank is for
indoors,
but the tank looks as though it is outside. It looks as though you need
an
electrician to clean this up.

The female threads in the well cover are chewed up, which is why the
controller is just hanging there. I believe the duct tape was
professionally installed to hold the unit in place, not to keep the
cover closed. But I don't suppose that's approved, either. Is this a DIY
repair? Can I just go to HD or an electrical supply house and get an
outdoor controller box? How would you address the chewed up threads? New
well cover? Something like a helicoil? Drill and tap in a new spot and
plug the old conduit hole?

*The hole in the wellhead may be able to be retapped. I would not mount the
new weatherproof controller right on top like that even if it is
"Professionally" duct taped together. I would install a short piece of wood
in the ground and mount the controller remotely or put it indoors. I'm not
sure where you can buy a new controller. You could call some electrical
supply companies.

I would mount the controller on a short piece of unistrut and a base
plate anchored to the cement and I would build a small "doghouse"
enclosure to cover the whole well head. The broken rigid offset fitting
should be replaced with a section of flexible conduit as was used on the
other connection to the control box. I don't see any reason to replace
the control box unless it has internal damage. New controllers if needed
would be found at ant plumbing supply place selling the "3 wire" pumps
they control.

The BX wiring on the pressure switch is not rated for outdoor use and the
armor is broken.

Yep, I'm not sure the pressure switch itself is rated for outdoor use
either. I would think enclosing the whole mess in a service closet of
sorts would be the way to go. Make it a bit larger and store yard tools
in it as well.

This installation may have passed inspection by a home inspector, but it
never passed inspection by the town electrical inspector. You may be able to
go down to town hall and find out if an electrical permit was ever issued
for the well installation.

Never check on permits *after* you own the place, only before. After the
fact, just cleanup what is crap and go with it. No sense in opening up a
can of worms with some nazi inspector.

If you have to ask, then I say no it is not a DIY repair.

I'd agree. I would think it shouldn't be more than a couple hours work
and not a lot of materials expense to get it fixed up. If you provide a
reputable electrician with the pictures they should be able to provide
an accurate quote.