Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 72 Triumph Tiger with sidehack

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:48:56 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , dav1936531
says...

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:15:31 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:03:07 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:
Somebody like Jay
Leno might give you top dollar if he wanted it, but there aren't as many
middle class buyers with the cash laying around for toys these days.

True enough. Then Id have to ride it around and enjoy it until the
economy returned to normal wont I? VBG
Gunner

Don't forget...you're going to need an appropriate helmet to complete
"the look". Certainly one of those neon fiberglass crotch-rocket
helmets won't do. I am thinking maybe one of those old leather
football helmets paired up with an old pair of brazing goggles (the
ones with two separate round eye lenses) will give you sort of that
retro/steam-punk kind of vibe. Bonus points if you can get two sets
and put one set on your dog while you drive him/her around in the side
car.

Just remember that if one is in a state where a helmet is required the
helmet has to comply with regulations, and if doesn't come out of the
box with a "DOT" sticker it doesn't. One can buy DOT stickers if one
looks for them and maybe one will get away with a noncompliant helmet
with one's own sticker on it or maybe not depending on the cop and the
mood he's in. OTOH, the guy (possibly apocryphal) who had "DOT"
tattooed on the back of his head took it a bit too far IMO.

Ayup. and modifying a helmet past some stickers and maybe one of those
bright green mohawk thingies

http://www.google.com/search?q=helmet+mohawk

voids the DOT rating.

So here in California..I could only wear a Steam Punk "helmet" if on
private property.

Manditory helmet state (of course)...though to be fair..I wont even kick
start one without feeling really "odd" unless Im wearing a helmet.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.