Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Seeking a well education

On 7/18/2011 11:49 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In , wrote:

_WITH_ the broken connection???? Or was that done after the sale I'd
guess then?

I don't remember what it looked like prior to the well guy replacing the
pump, but when we took possession it was the duct tape that was holding
the thing upright.

Now _THAT_ is truly amazing...

In a relatively dry area, (like here in SW KS) we've routinely used
boxes of the type and they're fine even after 40+ years so it doesn't
bug me much at all on that count.

I will add that almost universally add a small weather shield (a simple
3-sided box of two sides and a top) around these boxes to keep direct
rain off. There are at least five I can think of sitting here at the
'puter that have been in place from early/mid-60s to as early as mid-50s
that are all still in good shape. So, while it isn't Code, where wet
isn't all _that_ wet, the boxes aren't a serious real problem. (I'll
also note that in the wet areas of the barn, farrowing shed, around the
corrals that the extra level of rated enclosures is needed and are used
as well as sealed for spark containment in grain dust or other
potentially explosive dust environments so am not oblivious to the
possible issues.)

I would/do, however, agree the broken mount should be repaired ASAP and
a much more rigid mount for that box be made than simply the conduit
connector. Guessing further, I'd wager a (very) small amount somebody
hit it w/ a mower at some time...

--

I'll take care of fabricating some sort of decent mount for it. Is it OK
to drill and tap into the well cover for a bracket?

I'd say it would be ok for the repair of the conduit connection, sure,
but I'd suggest a much more solid mount for the box than that--sink a 2"
or larger pipe or a fence post or something similar really solid and
mount the box on it, leaving only the connection to the well head would
be my suggestion.