Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Crimp, solder, both?

In article , David WE Roberts
scribeth thus

"mick" wrote in message
eb.com...
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:46:53 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

Just assembling my 12V battery cables for the camper.

External diameter of copper cable inner is around 5mm. Internal diameter
of connector (ring terminal) is nearly 8mm. So not a tight fit.

I was intending to crimp - not sure now if I should cut a slot in the
tube to allow the connector to crimp down further or just flatten it out
to get a grip.
Looks as though it has been folded then welded/brazed shut so I would be
undoing this last bit.
As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should
run some solder in as well.
Just solder doesn't look as though it would give a secure enough joint -
and I've never soldered multi-strand wire this thick before.

Items are http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.u...55/category/32
item 070907
and
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.u...2/category/124 item
010601

Got the wrong size crimps then? That sounds like 16mm2 cable to me, with
(probably) a 25mm2 lug. Filling them with solder is never really
satisfactory in the long term. It may be worth finding someone who will
donate a couple of smaller crimps & fit them with a proper crimping tool.

The link shows a 20mm^2 cable - so I assume it is this.
The other link offers connectors up to 16mm^2 and up to 25mm^2.
So for 20mm^2 I have to go for the 'up to 25mm^2'.

We used to use over size lugs on 40 kW TV 'mitters and they had to be
sort of crimped and soldered .. dunno know quite why except that the BBC
wanted them that way;!...
--
Tony Sayer